The Government of Samoa is contributing to the development and disseminating ICT throughout Samoa, moving Samoa towards the knowledge economy and the information society. As such, Government established the ICT Steering Committee to develop policies and strategies for the effective management of:
- Awareness programmes for all sectors and all Samoan people
- developing and retaining a knowledgeable workforce with ICT skills
- a sustainable rural connectivity
- ICT networks and infrastructure in Governments, private sector and civil society
- Multisector Partnership approach between Government, the private sector and community based organisations
- cooperation with regional and international organisations
- ICT programmes in Education, Health and all sectors
- a Universal Access to ICT
- an improved and efficient Public Service
- development of applications and content
- security and societal Impact of ICT
- research to ensure findings are linked to policy making
PRINCIPLES AND VALUES:
The Samoa ICT Steering Committee is committed to:
- Fairness: acting with impartiality and integrity at all times
- Innovation and Business Performance Excellence: demonstrating an innovative and business-like approach
- Responsiveness: enabling and ensuring individuals take personal responsibility for their actions
- Safety and Security: having safe and secured ICT environments for the public and private sector, for NGOs, people with disability, Women and Civil Society
- Teamwork: being responsive to others and enhancing relationships nationally, regionally and internationally, to maximise effectiveness in disseminating and developing ICT.
In respect of Samoan people, the Government of Samoa is also committed to:
- Samoan values: The Government will incorporate Samoan values i.e. it will utilise the strong supporting mechanisms within the Samoan communities (e.g. family, the church, youth groups, women, communities and local agencies of the international organisations) and develop an inclusive supportive family/community based approach to ensure that ICT compliments the Samoan values.
- Relationships: The Government will work in collaboration with Government Department/Ministries, private sector, international agencies, NGOs, and Civil Society to increase awareness and understanding of ICT, and work to develop and maintain an effective working relationship among all sectors.
- Diversity: The Government acknowledges the diversity of sectors and groups in Samoa and distinct business cultures that should be respected. Each of these groups face different issues and have different needs and as such the Government will continue to identify those groups that will need a representation in the Samoa ICT steering committee.
- Consultation: The Government recognises that consultation with all sectors is crucial for obtaining information for the development of ICT strategies and policies for Samoa. The consultation will be extensive and the views and feedback from these consultations will be utilised in all future ICT policy work that impacts on the lives of the Samoan people. Consultation will also be used to review this document starting with a consultation with Decision Makers, at the highest level from all sectors.